Since 1999, we have been the voice and the space for reflection of Protestant positions in the German federal capital. In line with our mission statement, we are working for a „sustainable contribution of German Protestantism to Germany’s spiritual situation by reflecting religious, cultural, historical and contemporary, political and social issues” at our events, conferences, meetings and discussions. We are doing so at the crossroads of West and East, in a Europe that is growing together and in a globalised world.
- The Evangelische Akademie zu Berlin is a manifestation of the Protestant spirit of freedom and responsibility. We accept our vocation to help shape the world in freedom.
- We work under the authority of our shareholders, the Evangelische Kirche in Deutschland – EKD (Evangelical Church in Germany) and the Evangelische Kirche Berlin-Brandenburg-schlesische Oberlausitz – EKBO (Protestant Church of Berlin-Brandenburg-Silesian Upper Lusatia) and are independent in organizing our work and selecting our subjects.
- We discuss political, social and ethical fundamental questions in great openness and diversity simultaneously looking for the Protestant perspective of these issues. We explore our subjects with a view to Protestant ethics and their further development facing the challenges of our time.
- We make a contribution to self-reflection both in society and politics in an increasingly multi-religious and post-secular landscape. In a special way, we accept the task to spread the gospel and, at the same time, leave our own sphere to be present in the discussion spaces and conflict areas of the world.
- The Evangelische Akademie zu Berlin commits itself to the society of today and tomorrow in full assurance of the faith though not in self-assurance or only from the constellation of interests but in an effort to put forward the right arguments risking cross-border reflection.
- With competent directors of studies, we work on interdisciplinary and unbiased topic areas such as contemporary history, politics, economics, medicine, ethics, theology. We act as mediators between ideas and practice, between religion and society.
- We support decision-makers and persons in charge on their way to ethical judgment and responsible action. We involve experts as well as laypersons, full-time staff as well as volunteers, people with different religious and ideological backgrounds. We build bridges between leadership elites and those whose voices are not taken note of in social discussions.
- We are a forum and a factor in society’s discussions. Under our roof, different positions and opinions can engage in an exchange. But we also take a stand ourselves and put our arguments forward in public and the political arena.
- The Evangelische Akademie is domiciled in the middle of Berlin, Germany’s biggest city and versatile metropolis, at Gendarmenmarkt. The French Friedrichstadt Church at the centre and the conference centre on the isle of Schwanenwerder at the Wannsee lake mark our openness towards the world in the same way as our offer of a protected thinking space.
- Our main office is located in the German capital that has also become our country’s cultural centre. We are the academy of the capital because we engage in discussions with the political players at the spot where democratic leadership and decision-making processes take place, we interfere in political debates of the Federal Republic taking part in thinking processes for the future of the country.
- We have our main office at the crossroads of East and West: in Berlin, in Germany and in Europe. We accept the special responsibility resulting from German history and European reconciliation and particularly look towards Germany’s Eastern neighbours.